Freshly roasted Delicious Ethically sourced Brighter coffee for you to brew.
Brazil. The king of the coffee castle. Brazil has the largest coffee production of any country, and to be honest, it’s not even close.
Brazil coffee alone accounts for 30% of all coffee produced globally. Considering the first coffee crop arrived in Brazil in the 18th century, by the 1840’s, it had become the number 1 producer of coffee.
What’s the big deal with Colombian Coffee?
The huge global demand for coffee is ever increasing, and farmable coffee land is highly valued around equatorial coffee producing nations. Brazil sits very close to the equator, and has favourable conditions for growing coffee, including elevated mountain regions, distinct hot and cold climate cycles, and perfect rainfall conditions. A drop in production in Brazil has global consequences in the coffee supply chain. We consider Brazil to be the most important coffee producing nation for this reason.
Did you know: In 2020, a 20% decrease in harvest due to floods, frost and drought led to a global coffee supply squeeze, which saw the coffee price at origin increase by 150%.
Generally with Brazil coffees, the goal is a sweet and clean espresso or milk-based coffee. As the growing altitudes in Brazil are lower on average, the bean density will be a bit lower than other central American coffees.
For naturally processed Brazils from low altitudes (check the labels for this info), try a slower and gentler roast, but don’t let the sweetness dissipate at the end of the roast. Pulped natural Brazil coffees can be roasted hotter, but with a bit more time in the last phase of the roast to develop more sweetness that will be lacking compared with a natural processed Brazil.
Arabica is the most commonly grown and sought after coffee, with 70% of coffee produced in Brazil being arabica. The remaining 30% is Robusta coffee.
Of the Arabica coffee, the variety of species in Brazil is broad, however the most common ones are: Bourbon, Catuai, Acaia, and Mundo Novo. There are plenty of subspecies between each variety also.
Brazil coffees are a staple in the lineup at Brightside, as they have a wide appeal to all coffee drinkers. We will always have a single origin with unique characteristics you may not often associate with brazil, and we might have a more typical brazil coffee that we can use in our blends.
Note: Brazil coffees are almost exclusively Natural process coffees.
|Elevation (metes above sea level)
|Sul de Minas, Cerrado de Minas, Chapada de Minas, Matas de Minas
|900 – 1000
|Chocolatey , sweet and easy drinking
|This region alone accounts for 50% of coffee production in Brazil.
|Mogiana, Centre-Oeste de Sao Paulo
|900 – 1100
|Low acidity, nutty sweet.
|Sao Paulo is the gateway to the international coffee market, with the port of Santos exporting some 70+ million bags of coffee per year.
|Mountains of Espirito, Conilon Capixaba,
|700 – 1000
|Bold and intense. Robust. Creamy.
|Second biggest coffee growing region in Brazil. Lower altitudes on average is ideal for Robusta crops.
|Cerrado, Atlantico Baiano
|900 – 1100
|Very high quality coffee, sweet clean coffees, low acid and full body.
|A very modern coffee region, established in the 70’s.